Tamarind chutney is used for making all chaat dishes (Indian Starters) such as Papdi chaat, dahi papdi chaat, Palak chaat, Dahi Bhalla, etc. This video demonstrates how to make Tamarind chutney.
- Tamarind (100 gms, soaked in water)
- Water (enough to immerse tamarind)
- Dried ginger (2, chopped). If dried ginger is not available, use fresh ginger and double the quantity.
- Jaggery (100 gms)
- Chilly powder (1 tbsp)
- Asafoetida powder (1/2 tsp)
- Coriander seeds (1 tbsp)
- In a vessel, add tamarind, water, dried ginger, jaggery, chilly powder, asafoetida powder, coriander seeds, mix well & bring it to boil.
- Slow the flame and cook it for 15 minutes or till the gravy gets thick in consistency.
- Strain the liquid i a bowl with a strainer and extract all the flavor into it.
- The thick gravy is left in the bowl is the tamarind chutney.
- Tamarind chutney is formed and can be stored in the refrigerator upto a week.
Tamarind chutney is used for making all chaat dishes such as Papdi chaat, dahi papdi chaat, Palak chaat, Dahi Bhalla, etc.