Kala chana Sundal recipe is an excellent breakfast snacks dish. It is also a festival dish. It is made with black gram dal or kala chana. It is rich in protein and a delicious snack recipe. It is usually made during festivals or just as a snack and is a favourite food of the people of South. Sundal is a recipe that is also made during Navaratri vratham. Hope this sundal recipe will be easy and helpful for you.
- Black gram dal/ Kala chana (1/2 cup)
- Salt as per taste
- Coconut oil (1 tbsp)
- Mustard seeds (1/2 tsp)
- Curry leaves (few)
- Dried red chilly/ Kashmiri mirch(1)
- Black gram dal/ Urad dal (1/2 tsp)
- Coriander leaves( chopped, few)
- Freshly grated coconut (handful)
- To prepare the Kala channa :
- In a bowl, add the kala chana, water and wash well. Soak it over night in water for about 7 hours. After soaking overnight in water, the kala chana will become soft and enlarge in size.
- Take a heavy bottom vessel and add the soaked kala chana and water.
- Add salt(1 & 1/2 tsp) salt and mix well.
- Heat and bring it to a boil. Once it comes to a boil, slow the flame, close it with a lid and cook for about 15 to 20 minutes or till the kala chana cooks and becomes soft and tender.
- Drain away the water and separate the cooked kala chana.
- To prepare sundal recipe
- Now heat another heavy bottom vessel and pour coconut oil.
- Once the oil becomes hot, add mustard seeds in it and allow it to crackle.
- Add Urad dal and saute till it turns light brown in color in a slow flame.
- Add few curry leaves in it and saute.
- Once the aroma spreads, take the dried red chilly break it into half and add it to the pan.
- Add the cooked kala chana into the pan and saute.
- Once the spices mixes well with the kala chana, slow the flame and sprinkle some chopped coriander leaves over it.
- Switch off the flame and sprinkle freshly grated coconut on the sundal.
- Sundal is now ready to be served.
- Serve Sundal warm as it is or with coconut chutney.