Sambar is an authentic South Indian dish and is famous for it spicy flavor.
Click here to view the recipe on youtube
- Drumsticks (long cut, 1 cup)
- Potatoes (cut cube, 1 cup)
- Pumpkin (cut small, 1 cup)
- Long beans (cut long, 1 cup)
- Yam (cut cube, 1 cup)
- Carrot( cut thick, 1 cup)
- Dried red chilly (2)
- Red chilly powder (1/2 tsp)
- Coriander powder (1 tsp)
- Turmeric powder(1/2 tsp)
- Asafoetida powder (1/2 tsp)
- Tomatoes (chopped, 1)
- Red gram dal/ Tur daal(1/2 cup)
- Onion (finely chopped, 1)
- Mustard seeds (1 tsp)
- Tamarind pulp (1of lemon size tamarind)
- Boil and mash the red gram daal/tur dal, and keep it aside.
- Roast red chilly powder, coriander powder, asafoetida powder, turmeric powder till the aroma of coriander spreads, and keep them aside.
- In a heavy bottom vessel, boil the Carrot, pumpkin, long beans, potato and yam till they become tender.
- Add boiled and mashed red gram dal, salt, mix well and bring it to boil.
- Add the roasted spices and mix again.
- Add tomatoes and boil it for 2 more mintues.
- Add tamarind pulp and check for salt.
- For seasoning, heat a pan, add oil (1 tbsp), mustard seeds and allow it to splutter.
- Add red chilly, curry leaves, chopped onion and saute till the onion turns golden brown in color.
- Add this seasoning in the sambar and mix well.
Sambar is ready to be served with steamed rice, idli or dosa.