Raw Mango pickle is made of raw mangoes during the summer season in India. Raw mangos are easliy available during this time of the year. Kids sometimes prefer to cut it into small pieces, add some salt and eat the tangy raw mangos with salt.
To pickle the raw mangos, there are many ways. Some prefer to sun dry 2 to 3 days before adding spices to it. The mangos used are raw and are cut into small pieces so that the masalas will easliy coat all over the mango pieces. It is made into a semi-gravy consistency, consisting mainly of the water leaving out from the mango wile pickling and the oil used in it.
In this recipe, we will not sun dry the mangoes. This is a Kerala style of making pickle. We will see how to quickly prepare this raw mango pickle with very less effort.
I have used coconut oil, that gives the flavor to the pickle. You can use any cooking oil, however, sesamee oil, peanut oil or sunflower oil are recommended to make raw mango pickle.
I have tried a variation into the dish by adding a ready-made masala, from the regular chilly powder or pickle masala. I added kerala fish masala powder into this pickle to make the dish to get a change of flavour.
You can subtitue fish masala powder with plain red-chilli powder or ready-made pickle masala powder available in the market. I have listed the detailed products below.
- Raw mangos (2)
- Salt (2-3 tbsp)
- Coconut oil/Sesamee oil/ Peanut oil/Sunflower oil/Any cooking oil (1/4 cup)
- Mustard Seeds(1/2 tsp)
- Turmeric powder (1 tsp)
- Asafoetida powder(1 tsp)
- Pickle Masala (1 tsp, or as per your spice requirement)
- Cut the raw mang0s into small pieces.
- Add salt, mix well and leave it overnight in a tight container.
- The next day you will see the mangos leaving water and will gets pickled.
- Now heat a pan, add coconut oil into it. You can use sesame oil, peanut oil, sunflower oil or any cooking oil.
- Heat the oil to a maximum. Then switch off the flame.
- Into it, add mustard seeds and allow it to splutter.
- After the mustard seeds splutter, add asafoetida powder, turmeric powder, fish masala and mix well. Make sure the heat or fire is switched off before adding the ingredients.
- Instead of fish masala, you can add chilly powder, or ready made pickle masala into it. I have added this masala to get a different taste to the pickle. Also I wanted to try a variation of the recipe.
- Now, add the pickled mangos that was marinated with salt into it.
- Mix well and allow it to come to a room temperature. Raw Mango pickle is ready.
- Serve it with steamed rice, curry and papadum.
Also try Chicken pickle recipe that is a delicous combination with all types of dises.