Pidi kozhukattai is a healthy breakfast recipe. It is a variation of kozhukattai, but is savory or khara. It is made is rice flour, seasoned in spies, salted and steamed.
- Rice flour (1 cup)
- Cooking oil (1 tbsp)
- Mustard seeds (1/2 tsp)
- Urad dal/ black gram dal (1/2 tsp)
- Curry leaves (1 sprig)
- Kashmiri chilly/ dried red chilly
- Water (1 cup)
- Freshly grated coconut (1 tbsp)
- Hot water ( 1 & 1/2 cup)
- Salt (1/2 tsp)
- Take hot water in a bowl, add salt and dissolve it. Keep it aside.
- Heat a heavy bottom pan and add the rice flour in it.
- Slow the flame and roast the rice flour till it changes its color to light peach or till the aroma of the rice flour spreads. Once the rice flour is roasted, switch off the flame and keep it aside.
- Heat another heavy bottom pan, add the cooking oil.
- Once the cooking oil becomes hot, add the mustard seeds to it.
- Once the mustard seeds crackle, add the Urad dal or black gram dal to it and allow it to turn light golden brown in color.
- Now, add few curry leaves into it.
- Once the aroma spreads, add the kashmiri chilly or dried red chilly and saute. Our seasoning is now ready.
- Add this seasoning into the roasted rice flour and mix well.
- Once the seasoning is mixed well with the flour, add the hot salt water and saute.
- Switch off the flame and add freshly grated coconut.
- Allow the flour mix to cool.
- Now, make shapes of the mix. Most common is to take a palm full and press it with the fingers. It will give it the shape of long oval shape. You can also give it a round shape.
- Now steam the kozhukattai for about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Steamed pidi kozhukattai is now ready to be served.
- Serve it with coconut chutney.