Pal poli is a very tasty sweetmeat which can be served for Ganesh Chaturthi. It is not a very common dish so you can surprise your guests with this easy to make dish.
- Semolina (1 cup)
- ghee (4 tbsp)
- All purpose flour/Maida (1 cup)
- Milk (2 cups)
- Saffron (a pinch)
- Condensed milk (2 tbsp)
- Oil to deep fry
- Almonds (few chopped, for garnish)
- In a mixing bowl, add semolina, ghee(2 tbsp) and mix well.
- Add refined flour or maida and mix it well.
- After mixing it well, add little by little water and make a stiff dough. Knead it and allow it to rest for 15 minutes.
- While our dough is resting, let us get our saffron milk ready.
- For that heat a pan, add milk & bring it to a boil.
- In a separate small bowl, add a pinch of saffron, add 1 tsp of water and soak it for 5 minutes. This will make the saffron soft.
- Once the milk comes to a boil, reduce the flame and stir it for 5 minutes so as to get a creamy texture.
- Add the soaked saffron into the milk and continue cooking in slow flame. The milk will change its color and the delicious aroma of saffron will spread.
- After 1 minute, add the condensed milk and continue stirring.
- In case you do not have condensed milk, you can substitute it with sugar.
- Continue stirring for another 2 minutes or till the creamy consistency of the saffron milk is reached.
- Switch off the flame and keep it aside.
- Take the dough that is being resting for 15 minutes, and make small balls out of it.
- Place a ball on a flat surface, with the help of a rolling pin, flatten it and roll it thin.
- Once flattened, take few drops of ghee and spread it evenly on the surface.
- Now fold the poli into half, press gently and apply few drops of ghee on the upper surface.
- Now fold it from the other side. It will have a triangular shape.
- Now with the help of a rolling pin, roll it once again, flatten it and make it thin poli. Now the poli has
- got beautiful layer as it is stuffed with ghee.
- Prick the polis with a fork or knife so that it doesn’t rise.
- Heat oil to deep fry.
- Once the oil become hot, add the polis into it and deep fry till it turns light golden brown in color.
- Take the polis off the flame into a tissue paper to drain away the excess oil.
- Place the polis into a dish, pour the saffron milk all over the polis and allow it to soak into the creamy milk.
- Allow the polis to turn soggy in the milk.
- Now in a serving dish, take the soaked polis leaving the milk behind.
- Take few chopped almonds and garnish it on the paal poli.
Delicious Paal poli or milk poli is ready to be served. Enjoy!