Kumbalanga pulisherry is a yogurt curry made of ash gourd, flavored with freshly grated coconut. Spiced with green chilly and is served with steamed rice, a Kerala delicacy. It is one of the Sadya dish and also a comfort food.
- Ashgourd/white pumpkin (500 gms, cut into pieces)
- Water (3/4 cup)
- Turmeric powder (1 tsp)
- Coconut (1/2, freshly grated)
- Green chilly(1)
- Cumin seeds(1/2 tsp)
- Boiled rice (1 tsp)
- Buttermilk (2 & 1/2 cups)
- Salt (1 tsp)
- Coconut oil/Cooking oil (2 tbsp)
- Mustard seeds (1/2 tsp)
- Fenugreek seeds (a pinch)
- Dried red chilly (2, split into half)
- In a vessel, add Ashgourd/white pumpkin, water, turmeric powder, mix well & bring it to a boil.
- Close it with a lid and cook till the pieces become tender & cooked.
- In a grinder, add coconut, green chilly, cumin seeds, boiled rice and grind them to make a smooth paste.
- In another bowl, take buttermilk & add this coconut paste, salt and mix well.
- Add this buttermilk into the cooked Ashgourd/white pumpkin, mix well and switch off the flame.
- In a wok, heat coconut oil/ cooking oil, musard seeds and allow it to splutter.
- Add dried red chillies, fenugreek seeds, Ashgourd/white pumpkin & coconut mix into the seasoning and mix well.
- Bring it to boil for 1 minute. Adjust salt as per your taste. Switch off the flame.
Kumbalanga Pulisherry is now ready to be served with steamed rice. Enjoy!