Mutton coconut fry is a Kerala style of making meat with dry gravy and delicious coconut flavor. (Irachi curry )
For special masala:
- Black pepper powder (1 tbsp)
- Turmeric powder (1 tbsp)
- Red chilly powder (1 tbsp)
- Coriander powder (2 tbsp)
- Lamb (600 grams, small pieces)
- Salt (1 tbsp)
- Turmeric (1/2 tsp)
- Water (enough to cook the meat)
- Coconut oil/Cooking oil (1/3 cup)
- Onion (2 large, chopped)
- Ginger paste (1/2 tbsp)
- Garlic (4 cloves, chopped)
- Ginger (2 inch, chopped)
- Green chillies (2, split into half)
- Gurry leaves (3 stems)
- Salt (1/2 tbsp)
- Special masala (3 tbsp)
- Water (1/4 cup)
- Coconut oil/Cooking oil (3 tbsp)
- Coconut slices of 1/2 coconut
- Coconut (freshly grated, 1/2 cup)
- Heat a pan, add black pepper powder, turmeric powder, red chilly powder, coriander powder, roast well in a slow flame till the aroma of coriander spreads.
- Special masala to make Mutton coconut fry is now ready.
- Take it in a bowl and keep it aside.
- In a pressure cooker, add lamb pieces, salt, turmeric powder and cook for about 45 minutes or till the lamb turns tender and cooked. Keep it aside.
- In a wok, add oil, onion and saute till it turns light golden brown in color.
- Add ginger paste and saute for a minute. Add garlic, ginger, green chilly, curry leaves and saute well.
- Add salt as per taste.
- Add the cooked lamb and saute for 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add special masalas and mix well.
- Add very little water if the masalas stick to the pan and saute.
- Switch off the flame and keep this lamb preparation aside.
- In another pan, add coconut oil/cooking oil, coconut slices and saute till it turns light golden color.
- Add the grated coconut and mix well.
- Switch off the flame.
- Add this seasoning into the lamb preparation and mix well.
Mutton Coconut fry is now ready to be served with steamed rice.