This Kerala Fish curry is how my mom makes fish curry at home. While I realize that all homes will have varied recipes this is a very simple Kerala Fish curry recipe and I am sure you will love it as well once you make it.
Fish cooked in coconut gravy
- Fish (1/2 kg)
- Trumeric powder (1/2 tsp)
- Salt (1 tsp)
- Grated coconut(1/2 coconut)
- Curry leaves(few)
- Kodampully/Tamil tamarind/ tamarind (3 soaked in water)
- Red chilly powder(1 tsp)
- Coriander powder(2 tbsp)
- Water as required
- Curry leaves along with twigs (2)
- Green chilly (1, split into half)
- In a small bowl, soak Kodampully and keep it aside.
- Marinate the fish in salt and turmeric and keep it aside.
- In a wok, add grated coconut, curry leaves and saute till it turns light golden in color in slow flame.
- Once the aroma of the coconut start to spread, switch off the flame and add chilly powder & coriander powder and saute well till the aroma of the spices spread.
- Add water in the mixture and make a smooth paste.
- Heat the same wok, add the paste and add water to make it a curry consistency.
- Add marinated fish, Kodampully/Tamil tamarind/ tamarind, curry leaves twigs, green chilly and bring it to boil.
- Once the curry comes to a boil, slow the flame and let the fish cook in the curry.
- After 5 to 7 minutes, the fish will be cooked and become tender. Switch off the flame.
Kerala fish curry is ready to be served with steamed rice. Enjoy!