Kanda poha is a breakfast dish made of rice flakes, onion and peanuts. Best when sprinkled with lime juice. This Diwali, treat yourself with this delicious breakfast dish, Kanda Poha.
- Rice flakes (1 tbsp)
- Cooking oil (1 tbsp)
- Mustard seeds (1/2 tsp)
- Cumin seeds (1/2 tsp)
- Asafoetida powder(a pinch)
- Split black gram daal(1 tsp)
- Curry leaves (few)
- Onion(1 medium size, chopped)
- Salt (as per taste)
- Green chilly (1, chopped)
- Turmeric powder (a pinch)
- Roasted Peanuts or masala peanuts (1 tbsp)
- Sugar (1 tsp)
- Lime juice (of half a lime)
- Soak rice flakes in water. After 2 minutes drain out the excess water and cover the rice flakes. Keep this aside for 10 minutes so that the rice flakes absorb the water and becomes soft.
- Heat a pan, add cooking oil, mustard and allow it to splutter.
- Add cumin seeds, asafoetida powder or hing powder, split black lentils and saute them well in a slow fire till the lentil becomes golden brown color.
- Add a few curry leaves into it, After 15 seconds add one medium chopped onion and saute.
- Add salt, green chilly and saute till the onion starts to turn light golden in color.
- Add turmeric powder, masala peanuts/roasted peanuts, mix well.
- Add the soaked rice flakes and mix well.
- Close the lid and let it cook for a minute on very slow flame. After a minute, add a teaspoon of sugar into it and juice of half a lime.
Delicious kanda poha is now ready to be served for breakfast. Enjoy!