Kadala curry (Whole Bengal gram daal Kerala curry) is very tasty vegetarian preparation of Kerala made in coconut and spices.
- Black Bengal gram daal (1 & 1/2 cups)
- Salt as per taste
- Coconut oil/Cooking oil (2 tbsp)
- Mustard seeds (1/2 tsp)
- Curry leaves (2 stems)
- Green Chilly (2, split)
- Ginger (1 inch, chopped)
- Onion (2 medium size, chopped)
- Coconut (of 1/2 shell, grated)
- Cumin seeds (1/2 tsp)
- Water (enough to cook the black gram daal)
- Chilly powder (1 tsp)
- Turmeric powder(1/2 tsp)
- Coriander powder (1 tbsp)
- Soak whole black gram daal in water overnight.
- Add salt, water, whole black gram daal and cook till they turn tender. Keep it aside.
- In a wok, add coconut and roast till it turns light golden brown in color in slow flame. Grind the roasted coconut, cumin seeds, water (1/2 cup) to get a smooth paste. Keep it aside.
- In a pan, add coconut oil, mustard seeds and allow it to splutter.
- Add curry leaves, green chilly, onion, ginger, and saute till onion turns light golden brown in color.
- Add chilly powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder, mix well till the aroma of coriander spreads.
- Add stock or water (3/4 cup), cooked black gram daal, water (1/2 cup) and bring it to a boil.
- Add coconut paste, mix well in slow flame. Bring it to boil. Check for salt and switch off the flame.
Delicious Kadala curry is read to be served with Puttu or steamed rice. Enjoy!