The blending of Mughlai and Telangana cuisines in the kitchens of the Nizam, ruler of the historic Hyderabad State, resulted in the creation of Hyderabadi Biryani. This Biryani is a Hyderabadi dish based on basmati rice and goat meat.
- Fried onion (100 gm)
- Mint leaves (2 bunches)
- Coriander leaves (3 bunches)
- Ginger garlic paste (100 gm)
- Salt as per taste
- Red chilly powder (2 tbsp)
- Saffron (2 pinch)
- Green chilly crushed (50 gm)
- Garam masala powder(2 tbsp)
- Ghee (100 gm)
- Lemon juice (3 lemon squeeze)
- Curd ( 1/2 kg)
- Lamb meat (2 kg)
- Basmati rice (2 kg)
- Potli ka masala (optional)
For Potli ka masala (optional)
- bay leaves
- Paan ki jad
- khas ki jad
- kapoor katli
- sandalwood powder
- coriander seeds
- Soak Basmati rice for 20 minutes in water.
- To make saffron water, mash saffron and add some water to it. Keep it aside.
- Wash and cut lamb into small pieces in a heavy bottom pan.
- Add ginger-garlic paste, salt, red chilly powder, garam masala powder and add crushed green chillies.
- Mix it well and keep it aside for 15 minutes.
- Add chopped coriander leaves, mint leaves, chopped and fried onion, curd, ghee and lemon juice and mix it well.
- Keep the marination for another 20 minutes.
- In a seperate heavy bottom pan, add potli ka masala and boil water,to get a flavoured rice, however, this masala is optional.
- Once the water changes its colour, remove the potli ka masala from the water.
- Now add some salt in the flavoured water and let it to boil.
- Add the soaked basmati rice in the boiling and flavoured water.
- Once the rice is 50% cooked, drain the water from the rice and add it on top of the marinated meat, and spread it to form a layer.
- Add saffron water on top of the rice layer. sprinke a pinch of saffron and add ghee.
- Seal the biriyani with a silver foil so that all the steam is trapped in, because of which the meat cooks.
- Keep it on Dum for 20 minutes.
- Unseal the heavy bottom pan after 20 minutes, delicious Biriyani is ready to be served.
- Garnish it with chopped coriander leaves and fried onion.
Serve the biriyani hot with dahi ki chutney and mirch ka salan.