Today I am going to show you how to make Dhokla. People from Gujarat, a state on the west coast of India, relish it and is quit popular across India, as well as a tea time snack. This is a quick recipe for making as i will cook it in microwave. You can also prepare this by making a batter and allowing it to ferment. but for my recipe I am using baking soda to make it fluffy. Lets see how Instant Khaman Dhokla is made.
- Besan/Bengal gram flour (1 & 1/2 cup)
- Salt (1 tsp)
- Baking soda (a pinch)
- Semolina(2 tbsp)
- Sugar (2 tsp)
- Turmeric powder (1/4 tsp)
- lime juice (2 tsp)
- Green chilly paste(1 tsp)
- Ginger paste (1 tsp)
- oil(1 tbsp)
- Citric acid powder (or eno)(1 tsp)
- Water (1 & 1/2 cup)
For the tampering
- Oil(1 tbsp)
- Green chilly (2, slit)
- mustard seeds(1 tsp)
- Water (3/4 cup)
- Sugar (3 tsp)
- Lime juice(1 tbsp)
- Take a mixing bowl, and to it add besan or bengal gram flour. Sieve the flour so that there are no lumps in it.
- Add one teaspoon of salt, baking soda & mix well.
- Add semolina, sugar, turmeric powder, lime juice and mix well.
- Add green chilly paste, ginger paste, oil, citric acid powder and mix well. If you don’t have citric acid, you can also add eno powder into it. I don’t know why but it works as well.
- Add water and mix well to make a thin batter. Pour the mixture immediately into a microwavable container.
- Cover with cling foil and put it into the microwave.
- Prick some holes in the cling film and microwave it for about 6 minutes on high power.
- Now while the mixture is being cooked in the microwave, take another mixing bowl to make a tempering for the Dhokla.
- Add oil, green chilly ,mustard seed, water, sugar, lime juice and mix it well.
- Once you remove the Dhokla from the microwave, put this tampering mixture in the microwave as well for about four minutes.
- While the mixture is in microwave, allow the Dhokla to rest and cool a bit.
- Once the tampering is ready, pour over the Dhokla. Give it around 20 minutes for the water to be absorbed in the Dhokla.
- After 20 minutes the Dhokla will become very soft. Cut them into pieces .
Easy microwaveable Dhokla is ready. Garnish it with some coriander leaves and serve in your finest plate to your loved ones. Enjoy!