Vattappam is a sweet rice cake steamed. It is an excellent snack/ breakfast dish. It is an authentic dish originated from the state of Kerala. I have used microwave to make this dish. However, the recipe and the taste remains the same.
- Rice(1 cup)
- Freshly grated Coconut(1/2 cup)
- Yeast(1 tsp)
- Boiled rice(2 tbsp)
- Sugar(1 tsp for yeast)
- Sugar (4 tbsp for appam)
- Salt (1 tbsp) or as per taste
- Soak rice in water for 5 to 6 hours. Drain away the the water.
- In a mixer grinder, add the soaked rice, coconut,water and blend well till a smooth batter is formed.
- In a bowl, add yeast, water (1 tbsp), sugar(1 tsp) and mix well. Keep it aside till the bubble starts to form and the yeast is active.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the rice batter, and yeast and mix well. Keep it overnight to ferment or(6 to 7 hours)
- Next day, the batter will rise, hence mix carefully till the batter settles.
- Add the salt, sugar(4 tbsp) and mix again. Our batter is now ready to make vattappam.
- In a microwave safe small dish, pour the batter till it reaches half way.
- In a microwave steamer, place the dish with batter and microwave in on high power for 6 minutes.
- After 6 minutes, take it out of the microwave and check if the vattappam is cooked on the inside. For this prick it with a toothpick and if it comes out clean, means the vattappam is cooked on the inside.
- Soft vattappam is now ready to be served.