Idli is a steamed rice pancake and is best served with coconut chutney or sambar. It is an excellent breakfast recipe, Make soft idli using microwave and in very simple and easy method. We get the same authentic taste and well as soft idlis.
- Rice (3 cups)
- Black gram dal/Urad dal (Broken or whole) – 1 cup
- Salt (1 tsp)
- Boiled rice(1/2 cup)
- Soak rice & Black gram dal/Urad dal separately in water for 8 hours.
- Drain away the water of Black gram dal/Urad dal and grind it in a grinder/mixer by adding water(1/2 cup) to make a smooth batter.
- Pour the batter in a vessel and keep it aside.
- Drain away the water from the rice and grind it in the same grinder/mixer by adding water(1 cup) or till the rice immerses into the water to make a smooth batter.
- Pour this batter in the same vessel.
- Add salt and mix for about 5 minutes.
- Keep it overnight to ferment.
- In the morning, mix the batter again for 5 minutes. Batter is now ready to make idli.
- In a microwave idli steamer, pour the idli batter, close it with a lid and microwave it on high power for 6 minutes.
- Take it out of the microwave and check if the idli is cooked on the inside by pricking it with a toothpick. If the toothpick comes out clean, the idli is cooked on the inside.
- Delicious soft idli is now ready to be served with coconut chutney or sambar.