Christmas Chicken Pie with Eggplant is a delicious crusty pie made of minced chicken, eggplant and lot of cheese in it. Perfect for this Christmas eve.
For 4 persons
To grill Eggplant/Brinjal
- Eggplant/Brinjal (4 large, sliced)
- Salt(1/2 tbsp)
- Cooking oil(enough to grill the eggplant/brinjal, 1 tbsp for every round)
- Cooking oil (1 tbsp)
- Garlic(3 cloves, sliced)
- Rind of Parmesan Cheese (optional)
- Onion(1, chopped)
- Oregano leaves(1 tsp)
- Minced Chicken (250 gms)
- Salt (1 tsp)
- Tomato puree(3 tbsp)
- Parmesan Cheese(grated, enough to sprinkle for the layers)
- Tomato puree (enough to drizzle over the layers)
- Parmesan Cheese(3 tbsp, grated)
- Bread Crumbs(3 tbsp)
- Oregano leaves (1 tsp)
- Olive oil (2 tbsp)
To grill Eggplant/Brinjal
- Take the large eggplant and cut it into slices. I have taken 2 eggplant for the dish which serves 2 as main course or can be enough for 4 person as part of a meal.
- After you cut the slices, add salt to the eggplant and keep for around 30 mins. This will allow the salt to get absorbed and pull out excess water from the eggplant giving it a very nice golden grill marks when you grill the eggplant.
- Heat oil in a frying pan and grill all the eggplant till cooked on both sides. This will take about 3 minutes on
- In another pan, add cooking oil and allow it to get hot.
- Add garlic and saute it for 30 seconds. Add the rind of the Parmesan cheese for added flavor to the dish.
- Add onion to the dish and saute till the onion becomes translucent and changes color.
- Add few oregano leaves and immediately add minced chicken to the pan.
- Allow it to sear on one side and then saute the mince to cook it well.
- Add salt into it and cook till done.
- After 3 mins add tomato puree and cook it well. Keep cooking till the mixture turns almost dry.
- Now take a ovenproof baking dish and layer the grilled eggplant slices. Ensure to cover the dish completely so that the bottom is covered.
- Add tomato puree and top with the chicken mince mixture. Sprinkle some grated Parmesan cheese and repeat procedure of
- layering the eggplant, tomato sauce and cheese.
- Cover with another layer of eggplant.
- Make a crumble with parmesan cheese, oregano leaves and breadcrumbs. Add olive oil and mix well.
- Top this mixture on top of the eggplant layer. Once the pie is baked, this will give it a nice crunch to the dish.
- Once the above procedure is done, cover it with a aluminium foil and bake in oven at 190 degree Celsius for 20 minutes in a pre-heated oven. After 20 minutes remove the aluminium foil and bake it for a further 10 minutes or till the crust forms a nice golden brown color.
- Remove from the oven and allow this to cool for a while before cutting the pie.
Christmas Chicken Pie with Eggplant is ready for your dinner table. Enjoy!