Chana chaat is made of Kala chana or black gram daal It has chaat masala and raw mango to finish the dish. It is an excellent festival recipe as well. Chana chaat can be served during any time of the day, but mostly it is served as an evening snack.
It is also a delicious and healthy dish with lots of protein content.
- Raw mango (1, optional)
- Cooking oil (1 & 1/2 tbsp)
- Onion (1 & 1/2 tsp, chopped)
- Salt as per taste
- Tomato(1 & 1 tbsp, chopped)
- Potato (1, boiled and dices)
- Coriander leaves(chopped, handful)
- Chaat masala( 1 tsp)
- Black gram dal/ Kala chana (1/2 cup)
- To prepare the Kala channa :
- In a bowl, add the kala chana, water and wash well. Soak it over night in water for about 7 hours. After soaking overnight in water, the kala chana will become soft and enlarge in size.
- Take a heavy bottom vessel and add the soaked kala chana and water.
- Add salt(1 & 1/2 tsp) salt and mix well.
- Heat and bring it to a boil. Once it comes to a boil, slow the flame, close it with a lid and cook for about 15 to 20 minutes or till the kala chana cooks and becomes soft and tender.
- Drain away the water and separate the cooked kala chana. Keep it aside.
- To make chana chaat:
- Cut mango slices and chop them into small pieces. You can also use the mango chops as garnish.
- Chop some mango julienne and keep it aside.
- Heat a pan and pour cooking oil into it.
- Once the oil becomes hot, add 1 chopped onions into it.
- Slow the flame and cook it till it turns light translucent.
- Add salt(1/2 tsp) into the onion and saute well.
- Once the onion turns light translucent, add 1 chopped tomatoes and saute well.
- Saute till the oil starts to leave the sides.
- Now add the boiled potato into it and cook in slow flame till the potato start to mix well with the onion and tomato.
- Now add the chana dal or kala chana into the pan and mix once.
- Cook in slow flame for about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Switch off the flame and separate the mixture into a serving bowl.
- For serving Chana Chaat:
- After the kala chana mix is separated in a bowl, add some mango julienne into it.
- Add chopped tomato(1 tbsp), chopped onion (1 tsp), chopped coriander leaves, sprinkle some chaat masala and mix well with a spoon.
Delicious chana chaat is now ready to be served.