Adai is a very healthy pancake made from lentil and rice. It is popular in TamilNadu and can be enjoyed by all. It is completely gluten free as well.
- Idli rice (1/3 cup)
- Red gram dal (Tur dal)
- Bengal gram dal(1/2 cup)
- Black gram dal (urad dal) (1/4 cup)
- Green gram dal (mung dal)(1 tbsp)
- Dried red chillies(4)
- Freshly grated coconut(3 tbsp)
- Water(1 cup)
- Regular rice(sona masoori)(1/3 cup)
- In a bowl, wash and soak raw rice like sona masoori and idli rice for 1 hour.
- In another bowl wash and soak the lentils like red gram dal(tur dal), bengal gram dal(chana dal), black gram dal(urad dal), green gram dal(moong dal) for 1 hour. Drain water from the rice and lentils.
- Add both the rice and lentils in a mixer grinder. Add the dried red chillies, freshly grated coconut and little by little water to make a thick coarse batter. I have added 1 cup of water and grind them together.
- Pour the batter in a bowl and will make pancakes of it. For that, heat a pan, add 2 tbsp of batter and spread it evenly.
- Add few drops of cooking oil on its sides and cook it on medium flame for 2 minutes.
- Once one side is cooked, turn the other side and cook for another couple of minutes.
- Once both sides are cooked take it off the flame.
Serve hot Addai along with coconut chutney.